First, the training was not all that bad, it definitely let me know how out of shape I really am!! One of the requirements of guarding is to swim 500 yards every week, alternating between the free-style and breast stroke. The first time I did the 500 I thought I was seriously going to suffocate. The first 100-150 yards I think I did fairly well, but after that I looked like a drowning llama! I am not really sure what a drowning llama looks like, I would have probably made a drowning llama look good! Well I didn't quit and I did feel horrible afterwards but I also felt a sense of accomplishment. I look forward to the weekly 500's, I have a goal to finish my swim without stopping to gasp for air, and also to not drink half of the pool.....
I had my first guard this past week and I really enjoyed it. I kind of missed the whole routine and I also remembered that I like guarding outside better than inside, not sure why it is just a preference I guess. It was a good experience, I watched an older man come in at 6 and swim non-stop until 7:45! I was very impressed, the length he swam was a mile and he didn't even know about it. I had an hour long conversation with another swimmer who is a mother of 2 and is from California, and I also met a woman who said she was from Pond Creek! For those of you who do not know, Pond Creek is a little town in Oklahoma where I used to play basketball.
I enjoyed my first week at the "Y" and look forward to the next few months. I am currently working a "call-in" position at The Lettershop that if needed I can go in to work. I love serving at the Christian Church of Carl Junction, over the next 3 weeks Boyce will be in India teaching and preaching to preachers in the area he will be visiting. With him going to India he has asked me to fill the pulpit this sunday evening, the 17th, next sunday, the 24th, and the morning of the 31st! I look forward to these opportunities, I will be following some pretty amazing preachers which makes me a little nervous but also burns some excitement within my bones.
Well that is my update as of now. I will be back to let everyone know how preaching went, and how many times I am pulled out of the pool while swimming my 500's..!
-cody
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteStinnet Gazette! I'm now reading your posts! Yea! I'm excited for you Cody and your up coming sermons! Wish I could be there to hear them. And Dianne your beef and noodles look yummy! If you ever post reciepts I might give them a try too... or maybe you have and I just have caught them yet.
ReplyDeleteMissing you guys! I look forward to reading your guy's updates. I'm trying to better update my blog too.